Director of Research, Northwestern Buffett
- Northwestern University Buffett Institute Global Affairs
- Evanston, Illinois
- Mar 16, 2023
- Apr 15, 2023
- Position Type
- Executive / President
- Full Time
- Organization Type
Director of Research, Northwestern Buffett
Job ID: 47268
Location: Evanston, Illinois
Department: Buffett Institute Global Affairs
The Director for Research oversees a range of programs and activities designed to support faculty and student engagement in interdisciplinary international research and scholarly activity. In close consultation with Northwestern Buffett’s Executive Director and Deputy Director, this position develops and leads the implementation of strategies to engage Northwestern faculty and students in idea incubation on campus and interdisciplinary research collaborations among faculty and practitioners designed to address complex global challenges. The role also provides regular guidance and support to Northwestern Buffett Global Working Groups and leads the process of monitoring working group activities and outcomes. The Director works with Northwestern Buffett and faculty leadership to establish annual research priorities and budgets and identifies opportunities to connect global working group research activities to global learning or collaboration initiatives that support campus internationalization and student growth. This position reports to the Northwestern Buffett Executive Director and Northwestern Associate Provost for Global Affairs, while working in close collaboration and meeting regularly with Northwestern Buffett’s Deputy Director.
- Oversees faculty and graduate student engagement in Northwestern Buffett’s research programming
- Leads recruitment of Northwestern Buffett Global Impacts Graduate Fellows; oversees the design and implementation of programming for Global Impacts Graduate Fellows
- Oversees the ongoing process of gathering proposals from and consulting with Northwestern faculty on areas for collaborative interdisciplinary research on global challenges; facilitates the assessment of proposals; engagement with originating faculty on potential participants from across Northwestern schools and departments; Designs and leads orientation sessions and activities for new Northwestern Buffett Global Working Groups, in collaboration with Northwestern Buffett’s Executive and Deputy Directors
- In collaboration with Northwestern Buffett Global Working Group leaders and Northwestern Buffett leadership, facilitates annual budget development, priority setting and research or post-research action plan development; Documents key takeaways and new developments from Global Working Group research or program activities for external communications, in close collaboration with Northwestern Buffett’s communications team, for amplification through appropriate communication channels and best practice sharing with global partners; develops processes and structures for monitoring and measuring the impact of Northwestern Buffett Global Working Group activities
- Works in collaboration with Northwestern Buffett Global Working Group leads and Northwestern Buffett leaders to develop partnerships with external organizations (e.g. government, industry or civil society organizations, NGOs, etc.) designed to advance Global Working Group goals and strengthen the impact of Global Working Group activities
- Manages Northwestern Buffett’s relationship with The Graduate School and coordinates graduate and postdoc fellowships or assistantships for Buffett-supported research at Northwestern; supervises graduate assistants and undergraduate students who support faculty-led Global Working Groups; manages programs to support Buffett fellows and affiliates including faculty and graduate student recipients of Buffett funding
- Facilitates Buffett international visiting professors’ participation in Northwestern Buffett research and faculty community activities in collaboration with Northwestern Buffett’s Executive and Deputy Directors
- Oversees programming for recurring Northwestern Buffett events focused on faculty engagement, in coordination with Northwestern Buffett’s leadership and communications team; develops and oversees the implementation of new programs designed to support Northwestern Buffett Global Working Groups
- Other duties as assigned
Minimum Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities.)
- 7+ years of experience in academic research and/or global research collaboration
- PhD required
- Demonstrated leadership in design and oversight of effective international and interdisciplinary research programs
- Experience in implementing monitoring and evaluation frameworks
- Experience with budget development
- Excellent communication (oral and written) and interpersonal skills; strong editing and proofreading skills
- Analytical skills; high degree of initiative, resourcefulness and creativity
- Aptitude for both independent and collaborative work
- Able to work well under time constraints with excellent prioritization and time management skills
Please apply online at https://careers.northwestern.edu/psp/hr857prd_er/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST_FL&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=1&JobOpeningId=47268&PostingSeq=1
At Northwestern, we are proud to provide meaningful, competitive, high-quality health care plans, retirement benefits, tuition discounts and more! Visit us at https://www.northwestern.edu/hr/benefits/index.html to learn more.
Work-Life and Wellness:
Northwestern offers comprehensive programs and services to help you and your family navigate life’s challenges and opportunities, and adopt and maintain healthy lifestyles.
We support flexible work arrangements where possible and programs to help you locate and pay for quality, affordable childcare and senior/adult care. Visit us at https://www.northwestern.edu/hr/benefits/work-life/index.html to learn more.
Professional Growth & Development:
Northwestern supports employee career development in all circumstances whether your workspace is on campus or at home. If you’re interested in developing your professional potential or continuing your formal education, we offer a variety of tools and resources. Visit us at https://www.northwestern.edu/hr/learning/index.html to learn more.
Northwestern strongly recommends COVID-19 vaccinations and boosters for people who can obtain them as a critical tool for minimizing severe illness. More information can be found on the COVID-19 and Campus Updates webpage.
The Northwestern campus sits on the traditional homelands of the people of the Council of Three Fires, the Ojibwe, Potawatomi, and Odawa as well as the Menominee, Miami and Ho-Chunk nations. We acknowledge and honor the original people of the land upon which Northwestern University stands, and the Native people who remain on this land today.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Click for information on EEO is the Law.